Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentine's Day (the movie)

Don't worry I didn't pay to see this movie. Valentine's Day is a film so clearly made by a 75 year-old man, and comes with such a sanitized version of love that Disney looks like Filmore's. I think the last thing I wanted to see was Emma Roberts preaching abstinence or Taylor Swift in general. I did go into the film with very low expectations, but usually there is one charming moment that though I realize is a candy-like craving, makes the 90 minutes seem worth it. What can I say, my filmic preferences have a lot of depth, but sometimes I need Hollywood schlock if even to poke fun at.

I liked Valentine's Day the movie as much as I like Valentine's Day itself, so not at all. Unlike this year when I was pleasantly surprised, I was not at all by this film EXCEPT for the gay football player but that was just too minor of a character to win me over. Come on, they don't even kiss. Wasting time blasting or critisizing a movie like this seems like a moot point, its all-star cast is just smoke and mirrors to draw in the general public despite having an overly cliche...well everything. The over abundance of heteronormativity, while nothing new, was kind of frightening. I mean the film made even heterosexual sex look boring. I can't wait for this shit to catch up with the times.

No comments: