Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Last Days of Disco

I recently watched Last Days Of Disco, which is a new addition to the criterion collection. Starring a stunning Chloe Sevigny and a deliciously bitchy Kate Beckinsale, the film chronicles the life/nightlife of a group of intertwined upper class characters during the fall of Disco. What I liked initially was the banter, and how identification with it kind of wavered. Sometimes I'd think, these people are terrible and other times I'd agree with what they were saying, and identify with their passion in a musical movement no matter how fad-laden. I think Wit Stilman wanted that to happen since the characters are not heroicised, but you can't help to feel a bit sorry for them when Disco Dies and they refuse to accept it. Not being a recent Harvard grad, in fact a debt ridden post grad, I couldn't help but like the fact that everything they've scrutinized and invested so much pretension in ultimately breaks down and dies. I guess that's what happens when you take yourself too seriously.

No comments: