Sunday, March 8, 2009

March 8th, 2009

This week: Wendy and Lucy, Rachel Getting Married and Battle in Seattle.

First up, welcome to a new conception of an old blog. I figured that being a video store clerk gives me access to a lot of films, and clearly I'd make the most of said free films. I also go to the theaters quite a bit, and don't really have a canvas for my opinion on them. Well, until now at least. Anyway, enough with intros

Wendy and Lucy
There was a certain amount of hype surrounding this movie, so I went into it thinking i'd stumble upon a gem. It wasn't quite it, but I was happy to have seen it. Michelle Williams has flowered into quite the actress since Dawson's Creek, and I loved her in Synecdoche, New York. Her acting is quiet well done in a film where very little happens, but that's the point. It was interesting though arduous. I was glad that it wasn't one of those slow for art sake films, that relishes too much in itself. It was gritty and bare in such an acute way, which is very rare. Of course, one has to go into this film knowing that its not an entertainment film, but it is still worth a gander. So many horrible things happen to William's character (Wendy) and yet I left the film thinking about roadtriping in a car by myself.
<3.5/5>

Rachel Getting Married
I have to start this off by saying I strongly dislike Anne Hathaway as an actress. Her voice/face annoys me, which I realize is horribly pejorative. That said, I really liked Rachel Getting Married not despite of Ms Hathaway but because of. Play a bitchy, self involved drug addict is an easy route to being annoying no matter who you are. Hathaway's complaining, her constant need for attention and constant personal turmoil that pulls her whole family into the tornado with her leaves an unsettling feeling. I didn't know whether to cheer for her or wish she'd off herself initially, but once I let the film take me in I sat back and watched Jonathan Demme present an interesting and ultimately realistic character exist on screen. By the end, I felt thankful for the privilege.
<4/5>

Battle in Seattle
Rarely do films come out where I actually remember new casts about them happening (save 9/11) so I was interested on seeing a dramatic take on the Battle in Seattle. I watched This Is What Democracy Looks Like a couple weeks before I watched this film and in the end, Battle in Seattle is a completely inflated and overly indulgent movie. It takes individual people, gives them ridiculous story lines and throws them into a protest in an effort to show how dire the situation was. Actually, the only time I really got that were from the documentary clips put into the film. Somehow the movie managed to take away the spirit of unity that was so obviously evident in the footage of the battle in Seattle. Read the wikipedia entry, it's more enlightening.
<1/5>

Added Original Score:
New Metric Leak: http://www.zshare.net/download/566081108fe401ad/

(thanks amanda)

No comments: